|Frequently Asked Questions.
|What is your expertise?|
- Plants, both wild and cultivated. I am most knowledgeable about ornamental trees, the wild flora of greater Seattle (both native and otherwise), and edible plants (wild or cultivated). In my own garden the focus is on edible or fragrant plants. I enjoy making salads of more than 100 different kinds of plants. The list of Articles reflects my interest and expertise, spanning over 30 years.
|What do you do?|
- I do five plant-related endeavors, as a freelancing sole-proprietor: 1) Publishing and writing. 2) Lecturing, teaching, and leading tours. 3) Photographic slide shows and selling the rights to reproduce my photographs. 4) Hands-on pruning and garden work at $44/hour in Seattle. 5) Consulting at $80/hour: analysis, diagnosis, identification, suggesting, and custom writing.
|Do you barter?|
- Yes, I consider situations of "barter" or trade.
|What are you working on currently?|
- In December 2005 I finished updating Trees of Seattle. In 2006 I started to publish some writings of my late friend Gary Lockhart, who left his life writings in my safekeeping.
To minimize stress and resulting ill health I am leary of setting difficult deadlines. But in 2007 I updated my book Wild Plants of Greater Seattle, to republish it by April 2008. Since 2009 I've slowly improved this website, by updating content, improving illustrations, and ultimately by rearranging the many articles into a topical order rather than merely chronologic. At present, my main project is a comprehensive, multi-year study of edible house-plants.
|Where can I buy one of your books?|
- It varies. At present most are out of print. Each book has specific availability, as you can find by going to More Books page.
|Can you use help in your work?|
- Yes. Updating data in my writing, plus constructive criticism about my work or website is welcome. And if you live in Seattle, and have many houseplants, I would love to be invited to examine them.
|How can I go on one of your tours?|
- It depends. Most are privately scheduled for groups -- some for just a few people. All are limited one way or another. My website monthly calender lists some. You may choose to schedule a custom one at $60/hour for you and your friends or associates.
|How can I contact you?
- Write a letter, telephone, or Contact Me directly. If you e-mail, please note that I absolutely refuse to reply to e-mails devoid of ordinary courtesies such as salutations, and I delete such inconsiderate things instantly. An example is this: "can you tell me if such and such is edible?" Such queries, devoid of courteous Dear, Hi, or Hello greetings, and devoid of Please or Thank You, and not listing the name of the sender, do not get one bit of my consideration. Also, please bear in mind that receivers of e-mails have no idea where you live. It bothers me that I need to state these things; but such is the literal and moral degeneracy helped in part by the whole realm of e-mail.